There are two types of users that use DeBounce in order to validate their email addresses. First, users that have only a list of emails in a .txt file without any other information about the email owner and second, users that have an excel file containing extra columns such as First name, Last name, Location, Register Date and more. In both cases, users can use DeBounce to validate their emails. Buy, there will be a question in the second case: DeBounce only accepts .txt files, how should the user validate a list containing extra columns like names?
In this article, we have provided a step by step guide to help you how to add DeBounce validation results into your original file.
1. Removing duplicated rows or not?
First of all, you should check if your excel file contains duplicated columns. This is important because DeBounce removes duplicated emails by default. In order to match DeBounce results with your original file, the number of rows on both files must be the same. If your excel file contains duplicated rows, you must decide to remove duplicated rows from your excel file or not? In case you remove duplicated rows from the original excel file and upload them on DeBounce, the validation results and original excel file will have the same number of rows. In case you do not remove duplicated rows, you need to turn de-duplication feature off in DeBounce settings, so the number of rows become the same after validation on both files.
How to remove duplicated rows in MS Excel?
- Select the column that contains your emails.
- Go to DATA tab.
- Click on "Remove Duplicates".
- On the opened dialog, check for "Expand the Selection" and press "Remove Duplicates".
- On the next page, un-check all columns and only select the column which contains email addresses. Then press OK.
How to turn de-duplication feature off on DeBounce?
- Login to your dashboard.
- Hover on "Account Options" and click on "Settings".
- On "DeDuplication Feature" section, uncheck this option and click on Update.
2. Starting email validation
After deciding to whether to remove duplicated rows on your original file or turning off de-duplication feature on DeBounce, you need to validate your emails now. In order to prepare your file for validation, you need to convert your emails into a .txt file suitable to upload on DeBounce. We have prepared a detailed article containing step by step guides which helps you creating a .txt file on different operating systems: How can I create a plain text (.txt) file suitable for uploading into DeBounce?
3. Adding DeBounce results into your original file
When email validation is completed, download the results. On this step, we need to make the order of emails the same on both files (your original excel file and DeBounce results). Actually, it is a very easy task to do. The key point is to sort both files alphabetically on email columns. To do so, follow these steps:
- Download the full report from DeBounce.
- Sort this report alphabetically on email column.
- Sort your original file alphabetically on email column - and the order of rows is the same on both files.
- Copy "Result", "Reason" columns from report to your original file.
4. Filtering and analyzing the results
That is all. Now you can filter different rows based on your needs and analysis.